Sunday 1 June 2014

BBQ Pizza … REALLY???

It certainly is interesting the things you can cook on the BBQ.
During my work day I mentioned to a co-worker that we were going to BBQ pizzas for dinner on the weekend.  Her response was … "Really you can BBQ pizza?"  I know the first time I heard about cooking pizza this way, that was my exact reaction too.

My husband and I really enjoy doing pizza on the BBQ.  It gives us both a chance to be creative and have fun cooking and eating something we LOVE.

When time permits I will make my own dough, but this day that was not an option.  I opted using a Italian stone fired crust available in the bread section at the grocery store.

The sauce consisted of pureeing a can of fire roasted tomatoes, then staining out the excess liquid.  Since we were making 2 different pizzas, I divided the sauce.   One sauce had hot pepper flakes and Italian seasoning added, and the other had smoky BBQ sauce added to the tomato base.

Now comes the fun part….all the wonderful toppings.  I made a "Zesty Mediterranean Pizza".  It consisted of the spicy sauce, feta cheese, black olives, spicy Italian sausage and kale.

My husband's creation was a "Smoky BBQ Chicken Pizza".  It had the BBQ sauce as the base, along with shredded double smoked cheddar cheese, yellow peppers, cooked chicken breast and mushrooms.

Since my husband is the official "grill master" in this house….the rest of the work was up to him.  He preheated the BBQ to around 400 degrees Fahrenheit and placed the pizzas directly on the grill and closed the lid.  About 10 minutes later he took out his handy dandy pizza peel….and removed the wonderful smelling pizzas from the grill.  It's like having your very own pizza oven!!

Now comes the best part…..eating these wonderful creations!!!  They were AWESOME!!  What a fun way to end a busy day…..stress free cooking!!

Next time you are in the pizza mood, and you have a BBQ, why not give this a try?  Creations are endless….let your taste buds help inspire you to create some of the best tasting pizzas you will ever eat!!

P.S.  This was the first time I used the store bought crust….it is a wonderful idea…give it a try!!








No comments:

Post a Comment